There are several different types of charts found in Excel. All of which are used to display information in a way that makes it easier to interpret data.
- Column charts are best suited to compare distinct object levels in a vertical format.
- Line charts compare trends over even time periods, but are not necessarily used to show totals.
- Pie charts show the relative size of a particular data point as a part of the whole.
- Bar charts are best for comparing distinct object levels ina horizontal format. It is similar to a column chart, just flipped on its side.
- Area charts show how individual volume changes over time in relation to a toal volume.
- Scatter charts compare trends over uneven time or measurement intervals. This type of chart is useful to spot trends in a set of data.